Wednesday, November 11, 2009

just what I needed to read, part 2

Here's another devotion for the next day, November 10. Taken from "New Day, New You" by Joyce Meyer, a few sections taken out by me.

Let Go and Let God Be God
O our God, will You not exercise judgment upon them? For we have no might to
stand against this great company that is coming against us. We do not know
what to do, but our eyes are upon You. - 2 Chronicles 20:12

"Here Jehoshaphat admits to God openly his total inability to deal with the problem....I remember wanting to give up simply because I was so exhausted from trying to fight my own battles. I went through all this on a regular basis until one day I was being really kind of melodramatic about it, trying to impress God with how miserable I was. I said something like, "God, I've had it. This is it. I'm through. Nothing I'm doing is working. I give us. I'm not going to do this anymore."
Just them, deep inside me, I heard the Holy Spirit say, "Really?" There was real excitement in His voice. That happens because the only time He gets to work in us is in when we become so exhausted that we finally decide, 'Instead of trying to do this myself, I'm going to give up and let God be God'....Why not give up your own effort and do what Jehoshaphat did in verse 12? Admit to God that you...don't know what to do, but you are looking to Him for direction and deliverance."

This is a weak spot for me, I am a very organized/in control type of person and have trouble 'letting go'. I have to be in control and hate to not be able to know what's going to happen or be able to plan for it. Hopefully through this tough time, I will learn to 'let go and let God be God'!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment