Friday, February 11, 2011

pre-review, a lil history into my interest in herbs

I can't remember a specific date when I became interested in herbs, I'll have to ask my mom about that. ;) I think I was in high school and I think it all started when I started having back issues, which my mom thought was just me wanting to get out of doing the dishes, lol!! My mom had started going to the chiropractor and decided to take me with her and see what the chiropractor thought, whether I was just faking it or if I just happened to really have problems. Everyone was so skeptical that I almost chickened out, but I'm so glad I didn't!!!

The chiropractor took x-rays before he started working on someone. Well, imagine everyone's surprise when he brought the x-rays into the exam room. My spine had s-curves starting from my neck all the way down to my tailbone, which was also 'out'!!!! I think I had a total of 4 curves in my back, and you would never have known it from the outside!!! :o

Once I started going regularly, I started feeling a LOT better. My mom and I then started looking into natural ways to 'cure' colds and minor ailments. My mom and I also went to a herbalist who ran a test on us that showed what areas our body was overfunctioning, underfunctioning, or was normal. (I still have those results!!) :)

Needless to say, the herbal remedies we had to buy to help correct our bodies was pretty expensive, no big surprise there!! So we started looking around and researching more herbal cures that we could easily get or make ourselves for a lot less.

Researching information has changed a lot!!! When I started researching herbs, I had to go to the library and check out books and spend hours reading. I don't think I reatained much, considering I either didn't understand it or it just didn't pertain to our situation. Today I can Google an ailment or herb and get all the info I need, have it ordered and know how to prepare it in under an hour!!!

So where does my review for the Bulk Herb Store fit into all this??

Well, about 10 years ago, my mom started getting "No Greater Joy" in the mail and we started following their family. When they started the Bulk Herb Store my mom and I started ordering herbs from them. We knew they had pure and natural herbs and trusted ordering from them. You can read about how the Bulk Herb Store got started and how Shoshanna took over the business, here. My mom and I order herbs from them a couple times a year, they have a lot of great herbs, books, dvd's and more.

I admit, I love making tinctures, salves, poultices, etc, but am reserved about jumping into it like I would like to. I am just unsure about which herbs are best together and which should NEVER be combined, and when making your own herb mix, is more better or less?? There is SO much to absorb when it comes to herbs and their healing properties, how to extract those properties without destroying the beneficial properties, and how to store them to retain their benefits for their full 'life' span.

This brings me to my review of 'Making Herbs Simple' vol 1. I have wanted this dvd since it first came out and I can't wait to watch it and soak in all the valuable info!! :) They also have a vol 2, which I also want and will probably end up buying after I finish the review!!

Whew, that was a lot longer than I expected!! This is my story, in a very big nut shell of how I got my love of herbs. I will be surprised if anyone reads this whole thing, but if you do, let me know what you think!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment